Monday, March 21, 2011

Germany Day 9

We spent a lot of time on the bus today, so we were able to get some sleep (well oddly contorted and uncomfortable sleep).  We left Berlin around 7:45 and drove 4 hours to Eisenach for a quick lunch.  Luther lived here for a few years, and Bach was born here.  We then headed to Wartburg Castle which overlooks Eisenach.  This is where Luther hid for ten months after the Diet of Wormz.  We took a tour through the castle and got to see the room where Luther translated the Bible into German.  The views from the castle were great.  We got back on the bus and drove 3 hours to Darmstadt, which is 20 minutes from the Frankfurt airport.  We walked into the city for our last dinner.  I had spaghetti because I've been craving it.  Tomorrow our flight leaves at 11:40 German time and we should get back to Chapel Hill around 8.  I'm not ready to go back to doing schoolwork though.

Some random thoughts I've had:
-Germany seems much more eco-friendly than America.  We have seen hundreds of solar panels, wind turbines, and many stores charge for plastic bags to encourage using reusable ones. 
-I love how tip and tax are included at restaurants.  It makes it easier to pay.  That being said, the servers don't have to work for their tips, which can sometimes make them not super friendly.  Overall we have gotten really nice waiters/waitresses.
-German meals are much more slow-paced.  They weren't giving us the check and hurrying us out the door; we actually had to ask for the bill most places because we had places to be (or were getting impatient).
-If you say you're from America, many people assume you're from Florida, New York, California, or Texas.
-Things I miss about the U.S.
       -Free refills.  I've really learned how to conserve my drink until the food arrives.  I guess it's actually a good idea, you drink less soda this way.
       -Ice. I haven't had ice all this week.
       -Free water-I really miss free water at restaurants.  I definitely didn't drink enough water because I figured if I was paying I might as well get something else.
       -Free bathrooms-This got on my nerves a little bit, especially at the rest areas, but I guess it's how they maintain them.
       -Beef.  I really want a burger. Made from cow. Everything seems to be pig here and I'm not a huge pig eater. (As I type this, I am now sick of beef. I have had at least three burgers this past week and don't want another one for a while :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment